27 June 2017

The walk to Grantchester


Through Grantchester Meadows, which some may recall as the title of a track by Pink Floyd


And to the Green Man pub, below, where the last time I visited it, 39 years ago, the beautiful actress Susannah York was sitting next to me; although there is not much more to tell of that encounter than what I have just told, and anyway my beautiful, and much younger than Susannah, lady was with me so Susannah was just a sideshow.


Then just as I returned to Cambridge a thunderstorm struck so I had to take refuge from the deluge in another pub... for about two hours... It was only just after lunchtime but I felt I had to sample their offerings to justify taking their shelter. Sigh... They sold me Schiehallion beer, which the young English fellow behind the bar thought I might have pronounced wrongly, until I said, "Listen mate I live within sight of the mountain Schiehallion that the beer is named after, and I have climbed it twice, and the beer is brewed not too far south of my house and..." At which point he asked me to educate him about how to pronounce it properly. Teaching job done.

6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A teacher's work is never done...

Andrew said...

And beside the river in Grantchester Meadows I found the remains of several little bonfires of marked exam papers, which seems to be a student ritual here, and finals time is not long gone. I was even able to still see the red marks on one half-burned biological chemistry paper, and was able to approve of the markers decisions.

Andrew said...

marker's (I fail at grammar) :(

Sean Jeating said...

Did you also tell him of the Schiehallion Experiment?
Not that I remember to have heard of it before.
So thanks for once again incite my curiosity, Andrew, and let me learn a little more.
Keep enjoying yourself. My good thoughts are with you.

Sean Jeating said...

ahem: inciting

Sean Jeating said...

Grrrrrrrrrrr! And: letting