19 May 2017

Inveralmond Alchemy

I was busy writing a book in The Salutation Hotel, which has been welcoming guests since 1699, and where Prince Charles Edward Stuart, grandson of King James the Seventh, based himself for a while during his Jacobite Rebellion of 1745, and beneath Bonnie Prince Charlie's old room I supped easily on Inveralmond Brewery's Blackfriar beer, brewed in Perth and named after the city's Blackfriars monastery where King James the First was murdered in 1437... then as the bottle neared empty I noticed the alcohol content of the commemorative brew was 7%. Ah... The world of electrons and molecular orbitals began to seem less important, so I went for a walk by the river beside the King James the Sixth golf course, and opposite the site of Oliver Cromwell's army's old barracks, taking care not to fall into the cold water as I thought about all those King Jimmys, and monks, and murders and battles, and the history which the wide River Tay had all flowed past, just as it still flowed past me fast today. Then the chemistry of brewing wore off, gradually, and my mind returned to the chemistry of chemistry.

8 comments:

Sean Jeating said...

Nice advertisement. You should offer them text and photo. Should be werth to them at least twelve 500ml bottles of Blackfriar for you, and the same amount for your advisor*.

*Latest after having the third bottle intus Seanso will follow Don QuiScottie's suggestion and
attack the lion.

Andrew said...

Unfortunately the barman informed me they have decided to stop brewing it, although many other beers are available in their range. It happens a lot that when I find something I like it soon becomes no longer available.

Sean Jeating said...

Hm, they do still offer it in their web store.
Well, in case your barman is right: the "Fair Maid" has only 3,6%. :)

Andrew said...

The brewery has just been taken over by another good independent brewer - Innis & Gunn - and the barman was at an event outlining future plans and sampling new offerings. That was when they were told Blackfriar would be discontinued soon. They have many other lovely offerings though, and Blackfriar is somewhat overstated in alcohol, really, although it was pleasant to try. No shortage of good beers, although my golf course has just decided to stop stocking Dark Island, which is disappointing.

Andrew said...

Inveralmond Rascal, by the way, is one of the best porter beers I have tasted, although Belhaven's Scottish Oat Stout is up there too. Porters and Stouts are suited to the UK and Ireland climate and personality, I reckon.

Sean Jeating said...

Yes, I noticed Rascal. Interesting.
Belhaven's Scottish Oat Stout is new for me.
So Innis & Gunn have overtaken? Sounds promising, as my' distributor does have some of their brews in stock.
By the way, your Dark Island is my Raven Ale. Out of stock.
Do you have a biblical phrase for such a shame?

On a lighter note: Last month I ordered one of the 999-bottle-edition of Big Peat. Last week it arrived. So far, I am able to resist opening it. :)
Instead I raise a glass of "Veldensteiner Landbier": Sláinte.

Andrew said...

So far as beer is concerned I edit "All these things are sent to try us" to "These things are all sent for us to try", although as we do find the good lord giveth and the good lord taketh away. Still, it wets the path on the road to dusty death. Cheers.

Sean Jeating said...

Cheers, my well versed friend.