11 November 2015

11 November 2015

Armistice Day... It sets me thinking, and not for the first time, that my father killed several people in wartime; both my grandfathers killed people in wartime; and I can be fairly sure at least one male ancestor from every generation all the way back has killed people in wartime, possibly all of them. Four great grandfathers, then eight great-great, then 16, 32… as the generations of killers multiply. Like most people of my age I come from a long line of killers, but I have not killed anyone and nor has my brother, making us a generational first, I expect. And I am unlikely to have to kill anyone in the time I have left. So maybe things are slowly improving. Maybe things can only get better, overall. I hope. I will take two minutes of silence now, to ponder.