20 December 2014

Identity Crisis

I am getting confused by my multiple identities, which have developed for what seemed like good reasons at the time, and in some cases still do. My real full name is Andrew Robertson Scott, but I have published books and written articles as plain Andrew Scott for many years... and then a few years ago I began writing fiction as Andrew MacLaren-Scott (MacLaren being my somewhat strange grandmother's maiden name) to separate my serious and conventionally published scientific writing from that new and sillier venture... and more recently I have begun writing scientific articles as Andrew R. Scott to help distinguish myself from some other writers called Andrew Scott, not to mention from the fairly well-known significantly young(er than me) actor of that name who some women seem to lust after in a way that most women no longer seem to lust after me... and then there is Don QuiScottie, or The Noble Don QuiScottie de l'Écosse, to give him his full name, who is a character somewhat similar to Don Quixote de La Mancha but more real, and Scottish, being me. But... what to do? It's confusing me. I've tried to retire Don QuiScottie in the past, but he returned, being an insistent fellow, but it's a bit silly having two blogs when one might suffice, and when in any case they don't get visited by many people anyway, partly because I have gone to some lengths to ensure that the many people who know me as the supposedly sober and serious Dr Andrew Scott (or Dr Andrew R. Scott nowadays) are not aware of me as Andrew MacLaren-Scott or as Don QuiScottie. There were, I thought, very good reasons for that, but perhaps they are poor reasons. Anyway... and I know that nobody is probably reading this far, so I may be talking to myself now, or to all of my selves... but anyway... I think I will continue to blog only as Andrew MacLaren-Scott, while acknowledging in my profile that I am really the science writer Andrew Scott (that is, Andrew R. Scott, nowadays). But I'll continue not to actually tell all those sensible people who know me as Andrew Scott (and Andrew R. Scott) that I also write fiction and have a silly little blog as Andrew MacLaren-Scott. But the identities can leak out a bit anyway, as I discovered when a young lady approached me in a serious scientific place one day and slyly said, "I know who else you are," and then quietly held out an Andrew MacLaren-Scott book - Aileen the Alien - for me to endorse with my signature. But she demanded that I sign as both Andrew MacLaren-Scott and Andrew Scott. Confusing... I told her not to tell anyone, and it seems she didn't, though perhaps I should wish that she would... And I suspect Don QuiScottie will emerge again from time to time on this place too, for no matter how hard I try to put myselves all back together, they do have a way of persistently breaking out. Perhaps I should have called this post Strata of the Self, taking my lead from the very fine blog of that name, on which I have appeared, on occasion, as Andrew MacLaren-Scott. So that is that all settled then (or is it?).






Onward...

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

You are not talking to yourself. Or not only to yourself.
Whatever works for you. At least it seems that all of your selves are civil to each other. I am not sure mine are.

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

I do have arguments with myself, but that is just me fighting myself, I think, although perhaps I need to think about that some more... let's see... I think that what happens is that the me of now, for example, gets annoyed with the me of yesterday, for example; but then the me of yesterday is no longer there to take part in the argument so I just end up shouting at the me of now, which is silly, since there is never any disagreement within the me of now. Hmm. And then I also shout advice at the me of tomorrow, for example, but the me of tomorrow has not arrived yet so cannot listen, unfortunately. Oh well. We, or I, seem to muddle along somehow.

And now I am being asked to tick a box to prove I'm not a robot, which is new, and also unasked for (and perhaps I am a robot anyway).

Syncopated Eyeball said...

I'm confused too, mister, I mean Dr, I mean Andrew.

CherryPie said...

Well you could sign yourself into your blog to post as the persona you are for the post you are about to write.

Then all you personas could be quite distinct in one place. I think there is a widget you can add that lists the blog authors in the sidebar or you could just list the Tags to your various personas...

Andrew said...

Who knows what we will decide Cherie, or CherryPie? :)