4 May 2014

No argument

So... I was sitting in Coffee Republic as I wrote about these long ago things, just having a coffee.

The young man, next seat along, was just trying not to argue.

He said to his woman, 'I never said it wasn't funny, I said it wasn't fair.'

'But it was bloody fair,' his woman said.

'Oh, okay, it was fair.'

'Why are you saying it like that?'

'Like what? I'm just saying okay, I agree with you.'

'But you're only agreeing with me to stop having an argument.'

'That's because I don't want to have an argument.'

'Neither do I.'

'Good.'

'Why are you saying it like that?'

'Like what?'

'Like as if you've just won an argument.'

'No I didn't.'

'Yes you bloody did!'

'Well I didn't mean to.'

'Now you're just trying to weasel out like you always do.'

'I'm not, but sorry.'

'Don't say sorry if you don't mean it.'

'But I do.'

'No you don't.'

'I'm not going to argue with you.'

'You are arguing with me!'

He was about to speak again but he noticed my smile, and I shook my head gently as he looked at me, intending to indicate, 'give up mate, just give up.' So he smiled back, in a comradely fashion. I had never seen either of them before.

'What are you bloody smirking at?' she demanded. Which made me smile more, but made him stop very quickly. Made him stop smiling I mean. The argument continued.

'Bloody smug pig,' she spat, as things deteriorated.

'Yup, that's me. You're right again, I'm a bloody smug pig.' And then he smiled again, at me.

She turned her head and noticed me for the first time, just as my smile disappeared. In my urgency I got it off of my face just in time and became fully engrossed in my newspaper.

When they finally got up and left, in silence, he was a little behind her and he gave me a big grin then a comic grimace. I had made a friend, without a word being spoken between us, and I resolved to look out for him around town, and perhaps to say hello to him next time, if he was alone.

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

He showed MUCH more patience that I could muster.
I don't like arguments but would almost certainly have made an exception - or let my feet do the talking.
Did you ever see him again?

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

Have not noticed either of them again so far. I would enjoy it if she turned up sitting with a different chap and having another similar argument.

Claude said...

She was right. He was a pig. He was making fun of her, behind her back, with a stranger. I'm sure he wasn't much better when they were totally alone. His attitude certainly put her in a very unhappy mood. I hope she left him and met a decent guy.

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

Ah... looks like I could start an argument between Claude and Sue (EC) about this...

Claude said...

Naw...I just give my opinion. And allow others to have their own.