7 April 2014

Free will resolved (or not)

I have no free will. Or I am a different person each day. Or I simply change my mind.

I took a vow not to write again here until a challenging task was done, yet here I am writing and the task is not done, and is not going forward very well actually. But I wanted to remain silent until it was done, yet here I am writing, so... I have no free will.

Or I am a different person each day, a different consciousness unfettered by those that came before me.

Or perhaps I just changed my mind...

But... who the hell is that "me" of last month to tell the "me" of today what I should do anyway? The insolence. The presumption! Ah yes, that's the real answer - the me of today has the free will needed to reject the instruction of the "me" of the past, and to tell him he was an idiot. Not that he will hear, for he has gone now, and I am back now, apparently. Well no, not back, for he has gone, but my persona has returned in its new form.

And my challenge that I thought might get more easily achieved if I took a vow of silence until it was done, remains undone, and still daunting, before me.

I blame Elephant's Child. She exhorted me with a comment, and over her exhortations I clearly have no free will to resist. She is the cause of my effected failure.

I am sailing on a Calmac ferry tomorrow. That should be fun. Photos and words should follow if I really have a choice, or... come to think of it, perhaps if I don't.

And all caused by the words of a dead man, of Richard Harding Davis, speaking to Elephant's Child, through the wonder that is my time machine.

Oh... Pictures. I need pictures to portray my confuscation:


5 comments:

CalumCarr said...

What you write doesn't surprise me but not because I expected this of you but rather I think you describe a common condition. I find that tasks, even simple tasks, become more difficult when I put them off. Difficult tasks become virtually impossible to start or continue or finish.

That you took a 'vow of silence' to allow you to tackle your task immediately flags up how difficult is the task. From this position there are two ways for me to go: firstly I am determined to finish and do so or secondly the difficulty seems to increase and displacement activities tempt me.

What I should do is examine the task to find what is blocking me but that is too logical. I allow my temptations to grow and my task recedes. Thereby my life unfolds as it has and does.

Hopefully you know what makes your task difficult and hopefully too you can refocus and put your temptations back in their box. If you manage this let me know how.

Elephant's Child said...

How I wish that more of my exhortations had power.
I am sorry that your challenging task is behaving badly - but happy to see you back. However briefly.

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

What is blocking me is my lack of free will. Or is it just willpower? I want to get it done, I have done the bulk of it in the past. Will I finish it off or just give up? But that might doom me... kill me... I suppose I could just "do it" and stop making a fuss. Hmm...

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

I will attempt to take a positive from the falure by preparing my triumphant "I've done it!" post, and keep it stored for use on the surely now inevitable day of glory. This is, in fact, a step forward, oh yes, not back, for this... for this... for this poor pathetic self-deluded fool...

A battle must be lost to spur the victory in the war.

CherryPie said...

You have the freedom to make choices and to change your mind. That is free will.

Tackling 'getting your task done' is a different matter. That requires getting into the right state of mind. I don't have any easy answers on how to do that...