19 January 2014

The Conversation - 7

"Sunshine."

"Yes."

"Sex."

"Yes."

"Eh... Being in green countryside on a warm day."

"Yes."

"With or without a ball to hit..."

"Yes."

"Laughing with friends."

"Yes."

"Maybe over a pint or two."

"Yes."

"Eh..."

"Nothing else? Good food? Films? Novels?"

"Oh... Food's okay, I suppose, but more of a requirement than fun for me. Films don't interest me much these days. They're all so crap and fake and implausible. Novels? Well, they're all just made up nonsense mostly..."

"So... Sunshine, sex, greenery, laughing and maybe a pint or two... Is that the sum total of things to be cheerful about for you?"

"It's all that comes to mind right now..."

"What about all the rest of it? The rest of life? All of your existence?"

"Mostly just a chore to be tolerated really..."

"While waiting on the sunshine and sex and greenery and laughing and maybe a pint or two?"

"Yes, and if they all came at the same time that would be worth the wait."

"Have they ever?"

"Eh... Hmm... Let me think... Four of the five have, I think. If I'd had a pint in my hand I would have spilled it..."

"Ah well... Still something to live for eh? Still a challenge out there for you to go for the five star treat."

"Oh... and writing rubbish."

"What about it?"

"I like that too."


Previous parts of The Conversation can be tracked through from here

6 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Smiles. An Olympic five star event?
Though I would add cats, the sky, birds, trees (green or not), rainbows and a few other things to the happy list. Small things for small minds perhaps.

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

'tis true there is more EC. Cats very much so, although we don't have one any more. Popping the air bubbles in that plastic cushioning you get wrapped around fragile items in the post... that's quite fun. Oh, and lazing in a hot bath... and that feeling of just being about the drift off to sleep (which may finally arrive with me only around 5am sometimes)... and trying to teach , surprisingly, for I do enjoy it... and drinking latte with a newspaper to read and nothing else to think of for a few moments... and... but no, I really am making too many to have any hope of achieving them all at once now... Damn.

Claude said...

One (or two) at a time is good enough for me. I'm easily breathless. I would add some favourite music. Or deep silence.

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

I could fit music in amongst most of the others. Silence might be more difficult actually.

Syncopated Eyeball said...

:(

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

Sad face Ashley? And me trying my best to be cheerful?

Maybe sad because I could find so little.