14 January 2014

The Conversation - 5

"Anyway... It is what it is and we are what we are."

"But did we have to be? Did we have any choice, really? Do we?"

"Oh, there you go again. Stop it."

"Can I?"

"Just stop it.   ...

   ...

   ...   Have you stopped at last?"

"I don't know."

"Oh deary, deary, me..."

"Fate, chance or freedom, eh?"

"Or some complex mixture of the three?"

"And to not be, or, instead, to be?"

"We'll see."

"Well, we'll not be... soon enough."

"But some say we we'll be forever..."

"And forever... and forever... with no Amen."

"And if that were so I think that every day I would begin just thinking, oh no, not again."

"And then?"

"The same again... again... again..."

"Again."

"Worse than death."

"Other than, perhaps, just death again, and death again, and death again..."

"Oh... But no. I'll go... I think."

"You'll go and not think, don't you mean?"

"Ah yes that's true, back to being nothing."

"Where, before, we all have been."

"Well, not been. Just have not been. You can't be nothing."

"No. I suppose not so."

"So?"

"Oh... I don't know."

"Just go."

"To where?"

"To nowhere."

"Can one to nowhere go, though?"

"I just don't know."

"No."


Click here to go back to earlier parts of The Conversation

3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

I have heard these voices more than once in the caverns inside my own head.

Syncopated Eyeball said...

I would hate to live forever.

Andrew MacLaren-Scott said...

If I was told I'd live forever I think I'd have to kill myself... except that wouldn't work, would it? What a bind :) or :( One of my most terrifying moments as a child was when settling into a hot bath for some reason suddenly gave me the thought that I might never ever die, and I found the prospect appalling. I was about 5 or 6, I think. I remember it like yesterday.