7 November 2012

Little old ladies should look where they are going

I knew it was going to happen, again...

The little old lady approaching me with her head down in the short alleyway barely wide enough for one.

What to do?

I stopped.

She continued to approach, head down.

Then when just a few feet away she looked up, jumped about a foot in the air (I exaggerate but it seemed like that) and I waited to catch her if her heart stopped from the shock.

I said sorry. Why did I say sorry? It's not my fault that I am 6 foot 4... It's not my fault that I was there... It's not my fault that so very often, I give little old wandering and distracted ladies, such a scare.

Although... I suppose I should stick to the wide open avenues, with perhaps a flashing light on my head and a little machine that goes "beep, beep, beep" as I approach.

13 comments:

jams o donnell said...

Clearly my dear Don she thought you were Big Tam and about to perform some form of malky on her!

Don QuiScottie said...

Whereas I was really just Big Soft Don afraid that as she approached head down at surprising speed a collision might do serious damage to my nobility.

Sean Jeating said...

Don't you frighten Claude!

Claude said...

You mean there is no beeping machine around you? Or someone preceding you with the sound of a trumpet? Dangerous...

Don QuiScottie said...

Now you mention it Claude, I suppose a man on a horse waving a big red flag of warning and announcement as I proceed on my noble way might be appropriate. Seanso! I have a new job for you! (and good to hear from you my friend).

Claude said...

Amazing! Seanso and I wrote exactly at the same moment.

Don QuiScottie said...

Ha ha. So you did. I hadn't noticed that. Signals coming in from Canada and Germany and hitting me from each side at the same time.

Syncopated Eyeball said...

People could also watch where they're going.
Not that I always do..

The Elephant's Child said...

On the rare occasions that I wish to overtake someone at the pool I do say beep beep just as I move out to go past. And I haven't hit anyone, or swum over the top of them since. And making a road runner beep beep sound is surprisingly good fun.

Don QuiScottie said...

I never overtake anyone at the pool. Too slow.

The Elephant's Child said...

A swimmer has to be seriously slow before I can overtake them. There is a gentleman in his seventies who does breast-stroke up and down the pool while chatting with anyone and everyone. His style is bad. Very bad. And if I could catch him I would tell him.

Don QuiScottie said...

Ha ha,

We have slow medium and fast lanes. I am in the medium lane, and only ever have been there even when young. But now I am one of the slower ones in the medium lane rather than one of the faster. I think I can delay my relegation for a few years yet, especially as I have to watch a man in his mid-sixties powering up and down the fast lane beside me. Maybe I should get into training and try for promotion.

The Elephant's Child said...

We also have slow, medium and fast lanes. If the medium lane is not too crowded I go into it. Sometimes I am kidding myself and should go in the lane of general bewilderment.