1 October 2012

Out of the mouths of babes...

"Don't annoy Andrew," the little girl next door told her younger brother (she being unaware that I am Don QuiScottie now), "because he is a very old man and he might get grumpy."

"Me?" I demanded, somewhat outraged. "What makes you think I might get grumpy? And what makes you think I'm very old?"

"Well how old are you?" she challenged me.

"I'm 57," I replied, truthfully.

She just furrowed her brow as if trying to work something out, but her little brother started speaking very slowly with, "Fifty... seven... Is that not nearly dead?"

And rather than making me feel grumpy, this made me smile.

4 comments:

CherryPie said...

Age is only a number!

It has no meaning ;-)

Don QuiScottie said...

Numbers have no meaning? Hmmm. And sorry but age is much more than a number, being also the length of telomeres on your chromosomes, the efficiency of many enzymes and gene control mechanisms, the accumulation of random chemical damage, not to mention the colour and numbers of hairs on many of our heads. It is a number that builds until it wins, but the ultimate victory is fine by me, if not, perhaps, the final countdown, but in this happy place the Don can truly say there is nothing he would fear with more dread than the number just going on and on forever.

Claude said...

"In 3 words, I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on."
Robert Frost

Cheers!

Don QuiScottie said...

Indeed it does Claude, with the torch being passed, and passed, it goes on...

What I have learned about life is there is nothing so resilient, nor so fragile

Nor so easily wakened from sleep, in my case (3.30am but at least I've enjoyed a nice few hours of snoozeland. Time to try to return...)